“If your goals don’t scare you; they aren’t big enough”
I like the quote, but I also think that “scare” might not be the ideal word.
This is why I like “fire you up” instead – goals that get you excited, goals that make you want to start NOW, not tomorrow.
When it comes to setting goals, many people approach them so haphazardly, that they never really get anywhere. It’s great to SET the goal, but then what are you going to do about it? Other points that matter:
- How are you going to reach it?
- What are you going to do once you reach it?
- How will it make you better?
- Or will it even make you better?
- When are you going to reach it?
- Why is it important to you?
These are the things that you literally need to write down, and post on your fridge or at your desk, or on the bathroom mirror – or make the background of your phone – anywhere you will see them frequently and often.
I have done this for the past 2 years, and both times I have accomplished my “big goal”.
- 2016 – Start my business, and grow clientele by 10% while maintaining 90% retention rate – CHECK.
- 2017 – Get published on 3 other websites – CHECK
- 2018 – Present at a major fitness conference.
This is MY goal for 2018, and I am writing it here so all of you can keep my accountable.
So lets dive deeper into my 2018 goal, and this same process can easily be applied to health/fat loss/muscle building/etc.
I have my end goal: presenting at a conference.
Now we need to break it down into PROCESS GOALS – these are the steps that will get me to my end goal. This is where the focus MUST be, not on the end goal.
With “i want to lose weight” as a goal, you cannot sit around and focus on that. You need to write out what are the pieces of the process that will get you there – and hit those HARD.
- Get to the gym 4 days per week.
- Measure out my portions.
- Get 7 hours of sleep each night.
- Eat 1 serving of protein 4 times per day.
- Eat 4 servings of veggies per day…
If you sit around and just focus on “why am I not losing weight?!” instead of the process goals, you will just keep spinning in place. Focus on the process, and the finish line will come to you.
So back to my goal.
Here are the process steps:
- Find 5-10 area conferences that I am interested in speaking at.
- Contact the appropriate people in charge.
- Have a plan put together on my topic that I wish to present on, and WHY it would be beneficial for them to have me present about it.
- Follow up, follow up, follow up!
Truth is, this idea came to me this weekend, and I already applied to 3 conferences in the area, and put together and outline on my ideal presentation and how it will benefit trainers/fitness professionals. I am fired up about it!
So you need to do the same – whatever your goals may be.
- Write it out.
- No seriously, get out paper right now and W.R.I.T.E.I.T.O.U.T!!!
- Write down 2-4 process goals that will help you get to your end goal.
- Set a timeline (when you want to accomplish it)
- Hit it hard, and stay the course.
If it is truly an important goal of yours, you will succeed. I’m not saying it will be easy, but if you put in the work, you will get there. I promise.
Like what you read? Want to get up to date blog posts sent directly to your email? Sign up below!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Stay healthy my friends,