Building a BOOTY!
Even if your goal doesn’t involve getting a better butt (why wouldn’t it tho?) having strong glutes is very important for many reasons.
Often times, low back pain is caused by weak or inactive glute muscles. Strengthening the glutes will help your body function properly, so your lower back isn’t taking on the burden of poor movement.
Strong glutes are the key to almost every athletic endeavor. Anything that involves the hip extension movement (swinging a bat/club, sprinting, throwing, jumping, creating full-body power) will benefit from having stronger glutes.
Try these 3 key exercises to strengthen your posterior, to feel better, and maybe fill out those jeans a little better 😉
- Barbell Hip Thrusts – studies have shown that these are the king of targeting your glute muscles for maximum muscular activation. Be sure to keep your abs tight, drive through your hips, and squeeze your butt HARD at the top of the movement.
- Weighted Step Ups – keep your chest tall, and drive your heel into the step. For maximum glute involvement, try using a step that puts your stepping thigh slightly above parallel with the ground. Try to avoid using your foot that is on the ground to push off.
- Weighted Romanian Deadlifts – either 2 legged or single-legged works very well. Drive your hips back like you are pushing a drawer shut with your butt. Drive your hips forward and squeeze your butt hard at the top. Make sure you keep your spine locked and core tight. All the movement should come from the hips, not the lower back.
How would you structure a week for optimal glute development?
I recommend hitting glutes with compound movements at least 3 times per week, with a volume of about 6-12 working sets per week.
Reps: a mixture of reps anywhere from 6 to 20 – as long as the reps are challenging by the last few, that’s what matters most.
- Monday – Barbell Sumo Deadlift 4 x 6
- Wednesday – Walking Lunges 3 x 12
- Friday – Hip Thrusts 3 x 15
If you need help getting started, look no further than online coaching. Training and nutrition! Let me help you find the best plan for you – from anywhere in the world.
Like what you read? Want to get even more FREE weekly wisdom, training tips, and nutrition nuggets along with up to date blog posts sent directly to your email? Sign up HERE!